VBS games which feature knights and castles are great for any Vacation Bible School program with a medieval theme. In this game, the knights (kids) are trying to defend their castle by catching cannonballs (newspaper balls) by the attackers (the group leaders).
This is an active game designed to encourage team building and burn off some energy. It would probably work best with grade school aged kids.
If you don’t want to make the newspaper cannonballs, use foam balls or another appropriate ball.
VBS Games – Defend the Castle
- Masking tape
- Gray spray paint
- Small blankets – baby sized works well – or large beach towels
- Tightly wad up the newspapers to form a 3 to 4 inch diameter ball. (This should be tightly enough to have enough weight to be toss-able.)
- Secure into ball shape with masking tape.
- Paint the “cannonballs” with the gray spray paint.
- Let dry completely.
- Divide the kids into groups of three or four each.
- Give each group a blanket and have them stand in the middle of the playing area.
- The group leaders and teen helpers lob the “cannonballs” toward the group and they try to catch them with their blankets.